This is a very famous dish in Sri Lanka in both occasions and day to day meals. This curry is a spicy less dish for everyone & also a very easy & tasty dish. If you are a vegetarian this is a very good dish for you all.Try the recipe with yourself, hope you like it much. Good luck with the recipe.
250g potatoes – boiled & cut into chunks
½ onion – sliced
4 cloves garlic – sliced
4 green chilies – cut into small pieces
5 -6 curry leaves
½ teaspoon fenugreek (Uluhal)
2 cups coconut milk - little bit thick (mitikiri)
¼ teaspoon turmeric
½ teaspoon chili powder
½ teaspoon Sri Lankan raw curry power
Salt to taste
Place the coconut milk, onion, garlic, green chilies, curry leaves, fenugreek, all the spices & salt in a medium size sauce pan and mix it all well.
Heat the solve on medium heat and place the saucepan on heat for nearly 10 – 15 minutes OR until the curry is boiling. (Continuously stir the curry, if not it will curdle.)
When you see the bubbles on the bottom of the saucepan, add boiled potato chunks in to the curry, and let it be on medium heat for another 5 minutes.
Taste for salt.
Mainly you can eat with any kind of rice, bread & also with string hoppers (Indiappa). But if you like of cause you can eat lentils curry with roti, parata or anything you like most :-).
1. If you like you can mix a small piece of cinnamon into the curry.
2. And also if you like you can add 1 – 2 tablespoons Maldives fish into the curry. (NONVEGITERIANS ONLY)
3. Always stir the curry, if not the curry will curdle, and you won´t get the real taste at all.
4. If you think the curry is too think just add small amount of water. (But potato white curry is tasty when you taste the creaminess of the curry :-))
5. If you like, you can sprinkle little bit of Sri Lankan roasted curry powder on the top of the curry. (Before or after transfer the curry into a serving dish.)